The Chinese, Japanese, and Indians have been famous for offering some of the best medicines and health practices over the past many thousands of years. Acupuncture is one such ancient Chinese medicine which has stood the test of time. It has grown from strength to strength. However, those who practice conventional western medicine are still not fully convinced about the benefits associated with this traditional form of medicine from the Chinese. It would be interesting to find out more about acupuncture and try and get to know more about the pros and cons of this form of ancient medicine. Even if have a look at some recent articles in the BMJ or British Medical Journal, opinions are divided about the usefulness and efficacy of this form of medication. While a doctor associated with the chiropractor and acupuncture feels that it is effective and safe, there are a couple of researchers from Denmark who believe that the efficacy and safety are not backed by any evidence or research. So, where exactly does the truth lie? Let us try and find answers for the same.
What Is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture Okc is basically a complementary form of medicine where specialists insert fine needles in the skin. The insertion is done at some chosen and specific points. These points are considered to be lines of energy and the insertion of these needles at the right points could help in giving relief to certain acute and chronic illnesses.
What Are The Advantages?
- We are listing down a few advantages of acupuncture:
- It is basically a safe and non-invasive form of treatment. Unlike western medicines, there is no risk of ingesting harmful medications which could have its own side effects.
- They could be useful in giving relief to chronic medical conditions where there are no permanent cures as far as western medicines are concerned.
- While in many cases western medications the focus is on symptomatic relief, this is not the case with acupuncture. The focus and effort are on identifying the root of the problem. Hence, there are many who believe that the chances of complete cure are much higher in acupuncture.
- It is less expensive and affordable when compared to western medication.
- There is no risk of hospitalization and the patient can go back to his or her normal work within a few hours.
- It is known to be a life-saver where other forms of medications have failed. Though unconfirmed, there are reports of complete cure for patients who have been suffering from chronic blood pressure, kidney ailments and other such difficult-to-treat diseases.
There are some obvious disadvantages and a few of them are being shared hereunder:
- It could be risky for those who are suffering from bleeding disorders and also for those who are using blood thinners.
- There have been instances where unsterilized needles have led to transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis.
- It is often considered to be a trial-and-error method rather than being focused on the main health condition.
The Final Word
In spite of divided opinions pertaining to acupuncture, it continues to be a popular and alternate way of treating some chronic ailments. It has certainly stood the test of time.
Elledge Chiropractic & Acupuncture
5715 N Western Ave #B
Phone: (405) 858-2225